Turmeric is used In India since centuries. Although usually known as ingredient in curry spice, it is worth to extend its use on a daily level. According to scientists, turmeric and its main active ingredient curcumin, will help in fight against cancer, diabetics and inflammations in our bodies. Dr. Saraswati Sukumar of Johns Hopkins University run the research and proved that combination of curcumin and the chemotherapy not only shrank the tumors but also helped avoid the toxic side effects of chemotherapy on heart muscles.
Gold of Ayurweda
Turmeric is a plant of the ginger family. Well known by its yellow-orange color. In my own ranking it belongs to my list of “super foods” which I try to use as often as possible.
But turmeric does not belong to XXI century but is well known in India and Ayurvedic medical system since thousands of years. Ayurveda itself has a tradition of over 5 thousands of years. In Ayurveda besides the use of turmeric as a spice, there is commonly used “God tea”, made out of boiled milk, turmeric and sugar or honey used as a natural anti-inflammatory remedy, fresh turmeric juice to support well functioning of the body or paste made out of turmeric used for itching skin or eczema.
“Turmeric has hundreds of molecular constituents, each with a variety of biological activity: antibiotics, cancer preventatives, anti-tumor, anti-inflammatory, anti-oxidants. Clinical and laboratory research indicates that diets that include turmeric or curcumin “stabilize and protect biomolecules in the body at the molecular level”, which is shown in its anti-oxidant, anti- mutagenic, and anti-carcinogenic action”. (Check more details here)
- Strong anti-oxidant, prevent aging , support our immunology system
- Anti-inflammatory support- It has been shown to be helpful in the treatment of Arthritis, Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Fighting Cancer -It neutralizes those substances which can cause cancer; helps a cell retain its integrity, destroying existing tumors
- Cleans the blood and support the circulation system
- Support liver and helps in body detoxification
- Support digestion system: by increasing intestinal flora and generate healthy digestion
- Support the breathing system and lungs
- Prevents the neurological sicknesses : Alzheimer, multiply sclerosis
Way of use
If we want to fully benefit from turmeric, we need to remember that active ingredients of turmeric can be absorb only with fat. Additionally, what I mentioned above, the active ingredient in turmeric-curcumin, combined with black pepper, becomes 2000 times stronger. You can mix ½ tbs of black pepper with half cup of turmeric and keep it in a separate jar. For cooking mix it with olive oil and for smoothies with coconut oil.
It will perfectly match with:
- Baked veggies: potatoes, cauliflower, sweet potatoes
- Spice for soups
- Spice for your morning smoothies. Recipe here.
- Hot anti-inflammatory tea: hot water, turmeric with black pepper, ginger, lemon and honey with a bit of coconut water to assure fat presence
- Use for cakes
- Perfectly match avocado, thanks to big amount of fats in it. You can add it to guacamole or just top avocado with a bit of turmeric and black pepper