If you are looking for additional variety of seeds high in minerals and vitamins, you should consider poppy seeds. Those are yet another type of oilseeds, which I use for my smoothies (and for cooking as well). I exchange it with other seeds, in order not to get bored and to make sure that I use different sources of vitamins and minerals. They are known since ancient times and today mostly used in baked products like breads, cakes, etc. Although full of vitamins and minerals, in a higher amount are quite heavy to digest, so should be eaten with caution (here I have in mind a full poppy seeds cake for example). One of the traditional polish cake called Makowiec (poppy seeds in Polish: mak) is one of my favourite. Although this one is for a real cheat meal. As a kid I was mostly eating poppy seeds in cakes or bread as this is very common in Poland. But not many people are aware that actually poppy seeds are very beneficial for the health and can be added among other oilseeds we are eating.
There are different type of poppy seeds (between 70-100 species )used for different purpose. The medical type is used to obtain the opiates (morphine production). The type for a consumption is low in the opiates, and completely safe. They are caloric (like all other seeds) and in bigger quantity can be heavy to digest, but you can use it in a moderate way for your smoothies or topping up your porridge bowl with a spoon or two.
Adding 1 or 2 spoons of poppy seeds to your smoothie, will bring extra nutrition. Several vitamins, minerals and good fatty acids can be found in poppy seeds:
Magnesium, Sodium, Calcium, Potassium, Iron, Phosphorus, Selenium, Protein, Dietary Fibre, Vitamin C, Niacin, Vitamin B6, Folate, Omega 3, Omega 6, proteins,
The full nutrition data you can check here .
Excellent oil is produced from the poppy seeds- great as a cosmetic product, for example oil massage or as dressing for your salad.
The health benefits:
- Poppy seeds contain Linoleic acid which prevent from heart disorders and heart attack
- Source of minerals and vitamins- for the proper functioning of the body
- Source of fatty acids like Omega 3 and Omega 6 (immunology, overall well-functioning of the body)
- Source of fibre
- Source of iron- supports the immunology, regeneration.
As mentioned above, poppy seeds should be eaten with limited amount, as they are not that easy to digest in a big amount (for example in a full poppy seeds cake, where couple of glasses of poppy seeds are used). But adding it as a nutritive product to your cocktail (1 spoon) in exchange with other seeds, can be beneficial. If you want to read more about full range of health benefits of it, check this article.
- Natural cosmetics: scrubs, masks (recipe soon)
- Adding to the smoothies- oilseeds are necessary for your smoothies, as certain vitamins needs fat in order to be absorbed by the body ( I also use flaxseed, sunflower seeds, chia, nuts, hemp seeds, pumpkin seeds
- Use for baked products: bread, cakes.
- Commonly used for example in the Indian kitchen.
- Used in recipes for veggies and meat