After I have posted a recipe for banana cake with amaranth and hemp flour, I received many questions about those flours. Today, I wanted to give you some reason, why it’s good to switch into healthier versions of flours.
Hemp- before you start to imagine any type of addiction or making marijuana connections, you should first read the full post :) In medieval Europe, hemp meant fibre. For centuries it has been used as a source for many varieties of products including the manufacture of cordage, durable clothing, nutritional products, oil, source of proteins for humans and animals. It is only with the time, mainly in the XX century when it got confused as the name was mainly used for Cannabis plants ( or rather when the war against hemp started as it’s production was not of interest of a few big industries). But hemp should not be confused with its close relative Cannabis which is widely used as a drug, commonly known as marijuana. Its good to know, that there are varieties of the Cannabis Sativa and each part of the plant is harvested differently, depending on the purpose of its use (industrial fibre, seed oil, food, recreation, religious and spiritual moods, and medicine).
Hemp has amazing benefits for the medical sector, but I will write about it in a separate post- it requires collection of many different facts. Today, I focus just on the hemp flour.
So, what is so special about this flour? Hemp flour is an excellent addition to your baking, adding the benefit of hemp proteins and the excellent fibre content of the hemp seed. Hemp flour doesn’t rise, and therefore is not a flour that can be used in bread on it’s own. You need to mix it with other flours, unless you are making a cake which does not need to grow (or flat bread, crispy crackers, flat base for your cake etc.) Generally, you can use it a 4:1 ratio with other flours. As posted some days ago, I have baked the famous banana bread, based on hemp and amaranth flour (1:1). It worked perfectly well. You can check the recipe here. The taste of this flour is deliciously nutty and it’s hard to beat all the health benefits of this one. Check below!
Amazing health benefits of hemp flour:
- Gluten, wheat and grain free, so it’s safe for those fighting with Coealiac disease and gluten intolerance.
- very nutritious, including 5.6% essential fatty acid: Omega 3 (good for cardiovascular health) , Omega 6 (brain functioning, bone health, metabolism), and GLA– gamma linolenic acid
- source of amino acids including the 9 essential amino acids which our bodies cannot produce
- Lots of fibre: necessary for the well functioning of digestive system. Makes you feel full longer
- full of protein: Hemp flour is 33% protein
- rich in minerals: magnesium, calcium, iron, potassium, phosphorus, niacin, riboflavin, thiamin
- Vitamin E: antioxidant (necessary for cancer prevention)
I think you don’t need more proof to start using this flour!