If you are a woman, this post is especially for you. So take your coffee or green smoothie and while relaxing, read why you should consider yoga as your lifelong friend! There are many practical reasons for it. If you are a man, stay, read it and after show it to your woman, girlfriends, mother and all the women you know. As we celebrated International Women’s Day this week, I thought I need to dedicate a post especially to all the beautiful women out there who may pass by the blog.
I truly believe and often repeat that yoga is absolutely for everybody with no exception (if you check my blog regularly you probably red it already), with no age, nor gender limits. But today, I mark the compatibility of yoga and woman’s health, body & life’s cycles. My little tribute from a woman to women.
Women’s roles today and all the demands coming out of it. I can name a few. Being successful, no matter what a success means to us (as each of us can have own definition). Playing active role professionally while being at the centre of the family. A mother, a friend,a wife,a partner. A businesswomen. Multitasking specialist. Trying to be fit, healthy and beautiful. I bet you would find quite a few more roles or demands to add. No complains here. We can be free to choose and free to live the life we want. But together with those roles and freedom we got also more stress, expectations and pressure. That’s why I believe yoga can be the best lifelong friend for all women.
Yoga and the whole yoga system dedicated to balance between body, mind and soul, can accompany girls and women with all the main changes and cycles in their life. Can be the best “smoother” of difficult stuff and tranquilizer in the most stressful moments. Can beautifully accompany a girl changing into women, a women being at the pig of her womanhood & motherhood. Will help with facing the changes coming with the menopause and going through the aging process gracefully while keeping the health and using potential of the body.
From girly stuff to a woman- this important time of life can influence the entire adulthood. Not only the girl face all the stress from changes of her body, she face as well the change of her mind- all of it is sudden, unexpected and can cause quite enormous stress. It is the time when the girl should learn to accept herself through accepting the fact that the changes with her body are inevitable, normal and will continue through all her life. Although the important role here to play is for parents, a girl can support herself exactly with yoga. Learning a basic meditation, deep breathing (pranayama) and practicing asanas will support the young women:
- it will build the muscular strength
- will help to avoid obesity
- will support regulation of menstrual cycle
- will be the starting point of discovering the connection to the body
- will provide the balance much needed in the time of changes
- at this time it will also help to build healthy habits for body and mind
100 % of womanhood- at this time woman become more aware of her self as well as of her body. It is important to keep the healthy habits or start them now. This includes balanced eating, as well as physical activity which should become part of the daily routine. It is important to dedicate the time for self development- to take care of mindful way of living, being aware of emotions ( self destructive thoughts versus positive and supportive thinking). At this time of life yoga will support women in the areas which are important for her:
- self awareness
- sexuality: yoga also helps to improve the sexual life,on physical and emotional level
- body strength
- stress management
Practising yoga will support the internal organs- as asanas are organize in such a way which are mobilizing all the internal organs for better functioning:
- detoxifying poses such as twists, forward folds and back bands stimulates the cleansing of internal organs. Moreover practising yoga helps us to slower the ageing process of internal organs. As ageing is not only the visible wrinkles on our face. More important is to make sure that we support the body in well functioning.
Another important factor will be for all women who are planning to become mothers. Those years women often dedicates to conception and motherhood:
- yoga will maximize the physical and mental health
- will improve reproductive health and chances of conception
- during pregnancy yoga will help the body to cope with new demands
- will definitely prepare the body for labor
- Yoga also helps to improve the sexual life,on physical and emotional level
Menopause – this is the transitional time for a woman. Again, woman faces a lot of challenges during this time: hormonal changes, difficulties to keep the body balance and weight, crisis of the femininity and health issues which are coming with ageing.
At this period yoga will have a healing effect especially in those areas:
- will help to regulate the hormonal system and will help to avoid complications and illness connected to it like thyroid or weight gain
- regular practice will support the health of the bones
- will support the digestive system
- will calm the mind especially while going through quite a lot of changes in the body.
Keeping strong and healthy body, with calm and balanced mind. Yoga will help not only smoothly go through the changes, but will help to enjoy those years in health and active.
Golden age– as every other part of life, this time has its own challenges. While ageing process is inevitable and women will face many limitations, yoga again can support this time in many different ways. It will be more about keeping the general balance and flexibility in order to face everything what comes within the ageing process:
- flexibility without forcing the body into complex and difficult asanas,
- keeping the breathing deep what will help to provide oxygen to all the internal organs
- focusing on relaxations
- yoga will help to keep internal organ active: better circulation, better digestion and going through all the limitations smoother.
Yoga at this age will help to keep the harmony between body and mind. Will teach the women that even while going through certain limitations, she can still enjoy her life.
As you see, yoga can be an amazing supporter to women and accompany her through all the cycles and challenges she may face within it. I hope those of you who never practice yoga, will give it a try!
If you find it useful,please share it further! I would be most than happy if you would share with me your experiences and opinions in the comments! Lets discuss girly stuff!